Becoming by Michelle Obama is a powerful and inspiring memoir that offers a fascinating glimpse into the life of one of the world’s most influential women. Her story illustrates the power of hard work, perseverance, and strength of the human spirit, from her humble beginnings on the South Side of Chicago to her role as First Lady of the United States.
Her book details her journey of self-discovery and her reflections on the experiences that shaped her into the woman she is today. The book invites readers to join Michelle Obama on a journey of hope, strength, and empowerment through her honesty and vulnerability.
Discover why this book is a must-read for everyone in the following paragraph.
Becoming by Michelle Obama: Book Introduction
1. Title: Becoming
2. Author: Michelle Obama
3. Published on: November 13, 2018
4. Publisher: Crown Publishing Group
5. No. Of pages: 448
6. Genre: Memoir
7. Price: The hardcover edition is priced at USD 32.50, but prices may vary depending on the format and location.
8. Rating: The book has received high critical acclaim and has a rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon based on over 38,000 customer reviews.
9. Where to Buy: The book is available for purchase at most major book retailers, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and independent bookstores. It is also available in various formats, such as hardcover, paperback, eBook, and audiobook.
Here are some links to major online book retailers where you can purchase “Becoming” by Michelle Obama:
Please note that prices may vary depending on the format and location, and availability may differ based on the stock of each retailer.
Becoming by Michelle Obama: About Author
Michelle Obama is a lawyer, writer, and former First Lady of the United States. Born on January 17, 1964, in Chicago, Illinois, Obama attended Princeton University and Harvard Law School, where she earned her law degree. After working at a law firm in Chicago and serving as an assistant to the mayor, Obama became the founding executive director of the Chicago branch of Public Allies, a leadership development nonprofit organization.
In 1996, Obama joined the University of Chicago as an associate dean of student services, where she worked for twelve years before taking a leave of absence to campaign for her husband, Barack Obama, during his 2008 presidential campaign. After Barack Obama was elected president, Michelle Obama became First Lady of the United States, serving in this role from 2009 to 2017.
As First Lady, Obama launched several initiatives, including Let’s Move!, which aimed to combat childhood obesity, and Reach Higher, which encouraged young people to pursue higher education. She also used her platform to advocate for women’s rights, education, and military families, among other issues.
In addition to “Becoming,” Obama has written several other books, including a memoir for young readers called “Becoming: Adapted for Young Readers,” and a book on healthy eating called “American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America.” She is also known for her powerful speeches and her work as a role model and advocate for women and girls around the world.
Becoming by Michelle Obama: Book Summary
“Becoming” is a memoir that tells the story of Michelle Obama’s life, from her childhood on the South Side of Chicago to her time as First Lady of the United States.
The book is divided into three parts: “Becoming Me,” “Becoming Us,” and “Becoming More.”
In “Becoming Me,” Obama describes her childhood and family life. She talks about growing up in a small apartment on the South Side of Chicago, where her parents instilled in her a love of learning and a strong work ethic. She also reflects on the challenges she faced as a black girl in a predominantly white school, and how she learned to overcome these obstacles.
In “Becoming Us,” Obama shares the story of how she met her future husband, Barack Obama, and their early years together. She talks about the struggles they faced as a young couple, including balancing their careers with their family life, and how they supported each other through difficult times.
In “Becoming More,” Obama discusses her time as First Lady, including the initiatives she launched and the issues she championed. She talks about her efforts to promote healthy living and education, and her experiences traveling the world as a representative of the United States.
Throughout the book, Obama reflects on the importance of staying true to oneself, and the power of community and personal relationships in shaping one’s life. She also shares insights into the political and cultural landscape of the United States during her time as First Lady, and her hopes for the future of the country.
Overall, “Becoming” is a powerful and inspiring memoir that offers readers a glimpse into the life of one of the most influential women of our time.
Becoming by Michelle Obama: Book Review
“Becoming” has been widely acclaimed by both readers and critics alike. The book has been praised for its engaging and heartfelt storytelling, as well as its insights into Michelle Obama’s personal life and the political landscape of the United States during her time as First Lady.
Many readers have found the book to be inspiring and empowering, with its message of personal growth and the importance of staying true to oneself resonating with people from all walks of life. The book has also been lauded for its advocacy work on issues such as education, health, and women’s rights, and its call to action for readers to find their voice and pursue their passions.
Critics have noted the book’s vivid and descriptive prose, which paints a rich and nuanced portrait of Michelle Obama’s life and experiences. Some have also commented on the book’s historical significance, as it provides a unique and intimate perspective on the Obama presidency and the cultural shifts that occurred during this time.
Overall, “Becoming” has been hailed as a must-read memoir that offers a powerful and inspiring message of hope and resilience.
Becoming by Michelle Obama: Book Quotes
Here are some memorable quotes from “Becoming” by Michelle Obama:
1. “For me, becoming isn’t about arriving somewhere or achieving a certain aim. I see it instead as forward motion, a means of evolving, a way to reach continuously toward a better self. The journey doesn’t end.”
2. “Your story is what you have, what you will always have. It is something to own.”
3. “There are still many causes worth sacrificing for, so much history yet to be made.”
4. “If you don’t get out there and define yourself, you’ll be quickly and inaccurately defined by others.”
5. “Success is only meaningful and enjoyable if it feels like your own.”
6. “Do not bring people in your life who weigh you down. And trust your instincts … good relationships feel good. They feel right. They don’t hurt. They’re not painful. That’s not just with somebody you want to marry, but it’s with the friends that you choose. It’s with the people you surround yourself with.”
7. “We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to-do’ list.”
8. “There’s power in allowing yourself to be known and heard, in owning your unique story, in using your authentic voice.”
9. “Now I think it’s one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child—What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something and that’s the end.”
10. “It’s not about being perfect. It’s not about where you get yourself in the end. There’s power in allowing yourself to be known and heard, in owning your unique story, and in using your authentic voice. And there’s grace in being willing to know and hear others. This, for me, is how we become.”
Becoming by Michelle Obama: Would I recommend the book?
Even though I cannot provide a personal recommendation, “Becoming” has been widely acclaimed by readers and critics alike. If you are interested in memoirs, personal growth, and the experiences of a powerful and influential woman, then “Becoming” by Michelle Obama may be worth checking out. It offers a unique and intimate perspective on her life, from her childhood on the South Side of Chicago to her time as First Lady of the United States, and shares insights into the political and cultural landscape of the country during her time in the White House. It’s a well-written, engaging, and inspiring memoir that has resonated with many readers.
Becoming by Michelle Obama: Conclusion
In conclusion, “Becoming” by Michelle Obama is a powerful and inspiring memoir that offers a unique perspective on the life of one of the most influential women in modern history. Through her engaging storytelling, Michelle Obama shares her personal experiences, struggles, and successes, offering insights into her journey of personal growth and her role as First Lady of the United States. The book has been widely acclaimed for its engaging and heartfelt writing, its historical significance, and its advocacy work on issues such as education, health, and women’s rights. “Becoming” is a must-read for anyone interested in personal growth, women’s empowerment, and the experiences of one of the most prominent political figures of our time.
Becoming by Michelle Obama: FAQs
What is the book Becoming about?
“Becoming” is a memoir written by Michelle Obama, the former First Lady of the United States. The book details her life from childhood in the South Side of Chicago to her time as a lawyer, mother, and ultimately as the First Lady of the United States, offering insights into her personal and political journey of self-discovery and growth.
Throughout the book, Michelle Obama shares her experiences of overcoming adversity, finding her voice, and advocating for causes such as education, health, and women’s rights. The book also provides a unique and intimate perspective on the Obama presidency, cultural shifts, and the political landscape of the United States. Overall, “Becoming” is a powerful and inspiring memoir that offers a message of hope and resilience to readers.
Why should I read Becoming by Michelle Obama?
There are many reasons why you might want to read “Becoming” by Michelle Obama. Here are a few:
1. Personal growth and empowerment: Michelle Obama’s journey of personal growth and self-discovery can be inspiring and motivating for readers who are looking to improve themselves.
2. Insight into the life of a political figure: As the former First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama had a unique perspective on politics, culture, and society. Her memoir offers a rare glimpse into her experiences and the challenges she faced.
3. Historical significance: The Obama presidency was a historic moment in U.S. history, and Michelle Obama played a significant role during her time in the White House. Her memoir provides insights into the events and decisions that shaped the Obama era.
4. Advocacy work: Throughout her life, Michelle Obama has been an advocate for important causes such as education, health, and women’s rights. Her memoir provides a platform for her to continue to raise awareness and inspire action.
5. Engaging writing: “Becoming” has been widely praised for its engaging and heartfelt writing. Michelle Obama’s storytelling skills make the book a compelling and enjoyable read.
Overall, “Becoming” is a memoir that has resonated with many readers and has been widely acclaimed for its insights, personal growth message, and historical significance.
What is the price of Becoming?
The price of “Becoming” by Michelle Obama can vary depending on the format (hardcover, paperback, eBook, audiobook, etc.) and the retailer. As a result, I do not have access to real-time pricing information. However, you can check the price of the book at online bookstores such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or your local bookstore. Additionally, many public libraries offer the book for loan, so you may also be able to access it for free.
What is the price of going solo book?
I’m sorry, but I cannot provide real-time pricing information as it may vary depending on the format, location, and retailer. “Going Solo” is the title of a book by Eric Klinenberg, so if you could specify which “Going Solo” book you are referring to, I may be able to provide a more accurate answer. However, you can check the price of the book at online bookstores such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or your local bookstore to get an idea of the current pricing.
How many copies did a promised land sell?
As of my knowledge, the exact number of copies sold of “A Promised Land” by Barack Obama was not publicly disclosed. However, according to publisher Penguin Random House, the book was a massive commercial success, selling over 3.3 million copies in the United States and Canada in its first month alone. Additionally, the book was a best-seller in several countries worldwide and received critical acclaim for its insights into Obama’s presidency and its engaging writing style.
How big is Promised Land?
“A Promised Land” by Barack Obama is a hardcover book that measures approximately 6.4 x 9.5 inches (16.3 x 24.1 cm) and is about 768 pages long, depending on the edition and printing. The book is available in several formats, including hardcover, paperback, audiobook, and eBook.
What is the net worth of Obama?
As of my knowledge, the estimated net worth of Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States, is approximately USD 70 million. The majority of his wealth comes from book royalties, speaking fees, and investments. However, it’s important to note that net worth estimates can vary depending on the source, and they can also change over time based on various factors such as market fluctuations, income, and expenses.
How many copies of Dreams of My Father were sold? / How many copies did Dreams sell?
The exact number of copies sold of “Dreams from My Father” by Barack Obama was not publicly disclosed. However, the book was a commercial success and a critical favourite upon its release in 1995, selling millions of copies worldwide. It was re-released in 2004 after Obama’s keynote address at the Democratic National Convention and became a best-seller once again. The book is widely considered to be a seminal work in Obama’s literary career and offers insights into his early life and political philosophy.
How many copies has Michelle Obama’s book “Becoming” sold?
As of my knowledge, “Becoming” by Michelle Obama has sold over 15 million copies worldwide since its release in November 2018. It quickly became a best-seller and one of the most popular books of the year, earning critical acclaim for its insights into Obama’s life and experiences as First Lady of the United States. Additionally, the book was translated into over 40 languages and was adapted into a documentary film for Netflix.
What is the most sold book ever? / What is the best-selling book in the world? / What is the most bought book?
The Bible is widely considered to be the best-selling book of all time. While exact figures are difficult to determine, it is estimated that over 5 billion copies of the Bible have been sold or distributed worldwide. Other books that have sold very well include “Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung” by Mao Zedong (known as the “Little Red Book”), which has sold over 800 million copies, and “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” by J.K. Rowling, which has sold over 120 million copies.
Which is the most-read book in the world?
Determining the most read book in the world is difficult since accurate reading statistics are not always available or reliable. However, the Bible is widely regarded as the most-read book in the world, with an estimated 3.9 billion copies in circulation and available in over 2,500 languages. The Quran, the central religious text of Islam, is also widely read, with an estimated 800 million copies in circulation. Other books that are widely read around the world include “Don Quixote” by Miguel de Cervantes, “The Tale of Two Cities” by Charles Dickens, and “The Lord of the Rings” by J.R.R. Tolkien, among others.